Suggested agenda for 8th work group meeting, March 14, 2003
draft by H. Marcuse
- Last meeting was taped--for those not present: ok to tape this one, too?
- Discussion of SocSci chairs meeting on March 10.
Ask depts. to send us a list of courses THEY'd like to put on new GE. Time
- David's report on data on enrollments
- Stock-taking (only slightly modified from last week):
AP for GE: only in quantitative, and WRT spec. req. with minimum score of
5 (NOT Wrt 2?).
Criteria ["rules"] for inclusion on list of core courses:
1. must be open to non-majors on first registration pass
2. no prerequisites EXCEPT one other GE course (intended for sequence courses
Dan: also not restricted to UD only [Beth/soc: leave
10 spaces in UD/majors only for GE]
3. preferably, but not necessarily, either writing-intensive or quantitative
Dan's guideline: each dept. with GE offerings
must offer some courses with WRT or QNT.
4. frequency of offering: must be offered at least 3 times
per 1 (or 2?) 5 year(s)
new "guidelines" from Dan:
5. topically appropriate for core or special requirement
6. relatively broad in scope, providing an overview of a subject area
[Harold's idea: "surveys of knowledge" would be broad;
"frontiers of inquiry" focused.]
7. appropriate for students w/o background, ergo typically LD
- Area A: update description to include information technology (etc.).
- Area B: no change (or: raise AP score from 3 to 4, then high school
grade from C to B?)
- Area C: Leave at 3 courses. Pare down list as per criteria.
- Area D: discuss chairs' feelings about reduction from 3 to 2 (pedagogic
made more palatable by possibility of divisional courses in new core Area
- Area E: various options.
1. (TF) remove subdivision, reduce from 3 to 2 courses, pare down list.
(WCiv as special req.)
2. (Dan) 3 courses in 3 subdivisions: WCiv, Non-WCiv, "intersections"
- Areas F and G: various options
1. (TF) leave as they are with new descriptions, pare down list
2. (Harold): combine and reduce from 4 to 3 courses, subdivision or (preferably)
3. Reduce further to 2 courses; new offerings in new core Area X.
- Special requirements
quantitative: raise minimum AP score from 3 to 4.
ethnicity: no change in existing; possible addition of 2nd as
spec. requirement or core area
nwc: no change, or new subcategory of Area E under Dan's proposal
Proposals: Western civ.; interdisciplinary/comparative
Writing-intensive: class size limitation (20/25?), rolling 3-year review
- Next meetings:
Mar. 14: -convolute of ethnicity, WCiv., interdisc; issue of new core
vs. spec. req.; plan 2nd HFA mtg.
Apr. 11: Implementation and management options
-position of GE director
-impacts on enrollment (new areas, AP) [need data!]
-how to review existing list (roles of administration, departments, ad hoc
-GE web site with updated syllabi
-inclusion on bio-bib (meet with CAP)
prepared for web by H. Marcuse, 3/14/03
back to GE work group main page